Three Year Anniversary

Today marks our 3 year anniversary as husband and wife.  Three years ago on fabulous day,  I made the following vow:
 "I, Allyson, take you, Archie, to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad,in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

Little did I know how quickly that I have to live my vows out in my daily life.  Typically, throughout your married life you have to provide care for your significant other during a health issue.  In my mind, I was thinking much later down the road.  The thought didn't not cross my mind that I would be faced with making medical decisions for Archie because he was out of it.  I had thoughts cross my mind about what life would be like without him in it.  I do not wish that only anyone and hope that no one is faced with a situation like that.
Last year our anniversary was spent in the hospital.  Archie was grouchy because he had just found out that he would be spending more time in the hospital (he was not aware how serious his condition was and that he could have died).  It was a pretty bad anniversary to be honest.
It is amazing what a difference a year can make.  This morning I made breakfast before I headed off to work.  On the way to work I was listening to daily mass and just had to smile because the reading for today was First Corinthians 12:31-13:13:
"Set your mind on the higher gifts. And now I am going to put before you the best way of all. 1 Though I command languages both human and angelic -- if I speak without love, I am no more than a gong booming or a cymbal clashing. 2 And though I have the power of prophecy, to penetrate all mysteries and knowledge, and though I have all the faith necessary to move mountains -- if I am without love, I am nothing.
3 Though I should give away to the poor all that I possess, and even give up my body to be burned -- if I am without love, it will do me no good whatever.
4 Love is always patient and kind; love is never jealous; love is not boastful or conceited, 5 it is never rude and never seeks its own advantage, it does not take offence or store up grievances. 6 Love does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but finds its joy in the truth. 7 It is always ready to make allowances, to trust, to hope and to endure whatever comes. 8 Love never comes to an end. But if there are prophecies, they will be done away with; if tongues, they will fall silent; and if knowledge, it will be done away with. 9 For we know only imperfectly, and we prophesy imperfectly; 10 but once perfection comes, all imperfect things will be done away with. 11 When I was a child, I used to talk like a child, and see things as a child does, and think like a child; but now that I have become an adult, I have finished with all childish ways. 12 Now we see only reflections in a mirror, mere riddles, but then we shall be seeing face to face. Now I can know only imperfectly; but then I shall know just as fully as I am myself known. 13 As it is, these remain: faith, hope and love, the three of them; and the greatest of them is love.

It is amazing that on our third anniversary that I would hear the reading that I chose to be read at our wedding! 
This year I can say that I believe that our relationship is stronger than it was. The good old saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is true.  Or another saying that I have said thtoughout the past year is "God wouldn't give you something you cannot handle."  I couldn't imagine my life without Archie being beside me.  He knows me way too well sometimes.  But I would not have it any other way.  God had a plan when we met 7 years ago at a concert. 
Breakfast was our anniversary celebration today.  I have plans tonight unfortunately.  But tomorrow we are going to the Eric Church concert which was my gift to Archie.  Then this weekend we will go out to dinner to celebrate.
Happy Anniversary Archie.  I love you so much and I am thankful that you chose me to be your wife three years ago!        

No comments:

Post a Comment