Post Surgery

This is an extension of the earlier post...

Let's back it up to last night when it all began.  I went to my nephew's seventh birthday party - pirate themed, which was a great time.  I picked up Babe's chicken (via Archie's request) on the way back. We all enjoyed some yummy fried chicken and sides.  Jennifer and Jerry left shortly after.  He then proceeded to try to go to bed, but he was very anxious since he had had a headache the past couple of days.  He asked me to come back up at six a.m. so I could see him before the CT angiogram that was scheduled for the morning.

I arrived at six and found him awake.  He said he went to bed around 3:30 a.m. and had not slept well.  Jennifer and Jerry showed up and we just hung out in the room until he was taken for the scan around 8:00.  He had the CT scan and everything looked good.  He began to eat breakfast when he suddenly experienced a horrible headache with neck pains and clogged ears.  We were all kicked out of the room and he was taken for another CT scan.  After the CT scan, Dr. Finn called me and told me that there was additional bleeding so they scheduled an angiogram and surgery immediately following. I was able to walk him down and hang out with him until the angiogram began.  He was disoriented by asking random questions and calling the nurse (whom we have had before) different names.

I was able to go to mass because we expected the angiogram to last an hour and half to two hours. However, his stepfather came in fifteen minutes later and pulled me out because the doctor wanted to talk to me and have me sign consent forms.  We discovered the angiogram was complete and he was being moved into surgery.

He was in surgery for four hours, which was good because we were told it would take between four to six hours.  They clipped the aneurysm successfully and put a drain in his head to alleviate the pressure in the blood accumulation in the brain.  We were told this was a very complicated and intricate process because he was still spasming.  They will be monitoring the spasms and hoping they will cease soon.  They will also be making sure the clip worked and the bleeding has stopped.

I was able to go back and see him, but he was very looney - he asked me if I was going to work, if John Rollins was here to see him, and asked me to remove his restraints.  He put in restraints because he was trying to remove the drainage tube and the bandages on his head.  They have limited visitors to myself and his mother, which we are only allowed to go back and see him for short amount of times, limiting his stimulation.  He will remain in ICU until the spasms subside and we are sure the clip has worked. No visitors are allowed until I have posted on FB or you have texted me.  Tomorrow we  expect him to be very sleepy due to the anesthesia.  Thank you all for your continued prayers and support.  Please continue to pray for a speedy recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment