Infection and Another Surgery

Last night Archie had a horrible headache that would not go away even with medication so my mom urged me to call the doctor. The doctor says if the headache persists that we should go to the ER and get a CT scan. He also said to make sure we go to a Baylor so they would be able to compare it to the most recent CT. Archie started throwing up so we hopped in the car and headed to Baylor Frisco. I was explaining what I was instructed to do and the nurse informed me that they would have to request the records from Dallas and when I asked how long that would take she said it just depends. She also informed me that all the rooms are full so there would be a wait, I told her there would probably be a wait in Dallas because it is always busy. So I called my mom and she said she thought we should just head to Baylor Dallas. So we hopped in the truck and drove down to Baylor Dallas. We arrived at the hospital around 11 pm. By that time we got there Archie had thrown up again and was freezing. When we got there they took Archie straight back. We got sent to an ER room where they proceeded to pull a bunch of blood, do his vitals and all if that stuff. The doctor showed up and withdrew some fluid from his head for testing purposes.  He said there is a lot of fluid in his head and that his ventricles are large. He said he thinks there is an infection and he is trying tow figure out where the infection is. He said he thought is might be the shunt causing the issue but would confirm. At about 3:45 the nurse told us that they were going to try to move him to ICU until they figured out what they were going to do. They gave Archie his morphine and he was out. My mom and I headed home to try to get a little sleep and so I could pack a bag so I can move back in with my roommates in Dallas. I slept for about an hour and fifteen minutes and then headed back to the hospital thinking he would probably be in ICU resting. Thankfully I checked with ER because he was still there. The nurse finally came in and told me that he was having surgery this morning around 11 am. When I asked if they were removing the shunt and putting in a drain she said she "thinks so but I will hear from someone soon". The doctor called and confirmed that he is removing the shunt and putting in the external drain. Archie will then be put in ICU for a week or two. The surgery will be late this morning, we are waiting for an ICU bed to be ready because The doctor does not start surgery until a bed is ready. So that is what I know thus far. Please say a prayer for Archie this morning. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Sending prayers your way, Allison.
    Love,
    Pam Hassell

    ReplyDelete