Staph not Staff, Day 50

Yes, that is correct the bacterial meningitis is a skin staph infection. The doctor said that if he tested himself or someone else that the skin staph would be there on his skin. How did it get there, he did not have any clue. It probably got in through the incision. So we now have only one antibiotic to deal with instead of the three different general types they have had him on. The spot of pneumonia that they found on his lung has gotten smaller since yesterday and they will be treating that with the same antibiotic because it was probably caused by the staph. The good news is that he does not have the flu. His critical care doctor did say that we would probably be here for 3 weeks because she said the infection will have to be gone and we will probably have to finish the antibiotics before they put another shunt. This is not what Archie wanted to hear but the nice thing is that she is honest with us and he trusts her.

What a difference a night and some prayers make. Last night I went home a little discouraged since he was not eating which was causing him to be grouchy. I went home and said prayers last night and this morning asking God to please get Archie to eat something. Well when I got to the parking lot of the hospital I looked at my phone and I had received a text from Archie asking me to pick him up some breakfast since he could eat solid foods. I went and got him a BOB from whataburger. He only ate a few bites but I was happy because that was probably more than he ate all day yesterday. His appetite is not huge but he did eat something every meal.

Archie also reminded us that he usually eats lightly for the first couple days after surgery
and then the floodgates open and he eats everything in sight. He went for a short walk today
but he did pretty well. He took a couple of naps throughout the day but nothing like
yesterday where he slept all day long.

Thank for the continued prayers, they give me the strength that I need. I know the Lord will not give me anything that I cannot handle. We are over the most difficult part and we just need to be patient, get rid of the staph, get the new shunt in and get the heck out of the hospital. It will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment