Shunt Surgery #2, Day 59

Today when I got there I found out that the surgery was pushed back to 1 pm and he was already hungry so it would be a LONG day for him. He did volunteer to go on a walk pretty early this morning. Archie was pretty grouchy and anxious this morning. The nurse got him a pill to calm his nerves. He then got a bath with the soap that is used be fore surgery that sanitizes the skin. Afterwards he napped until surgery thankfully so he could calm himself down.

The surgery went well. The doctor said that if he eats and walks that he might be able to go home tomorrow or the next day. He recovered for an hour in the ICU and then we were able to see him. He was ready to walk an hour after surgery but the nurse said that was not a good idea. He was able to sit in a chair for about 5-10 minutes and then he got back into bed. The doctor did say he could have some IV morphine so he got some of that and slept. I left for shift change and FINALLY donated blood. At that point Archie sent me text asking me to tell everyone "to please not touch him because he is sore in a bunch of places". I then asked him if he wanted me to come back up to the hospital and he said yes. Of course when I got there he was sleeping. I stayed for about 30 minutes and bailed because I think with that IV morphine will be used and he will be sleeping.

My hope is that Archie is really motivated to go home tomorrow and will be eating and walking so we can get the freak out of the hospital. Please say some prayers for us because we definitely need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment